Engineers Australia has incorporated and unincorporated technical societies. Incorporated technical societies are governed by their own constitutions but choose to be aligned with Engineers Australia.
Unincorporated technical societies are governed by a technical society committee that’s under the direction of the Engineers Australia Board and is responsible to it.
Our technical societies provide an important link between the wider profession and specific areas of technical practice.
Joining a technical society allows you to network with other professionals in the same area of expertise, join discussion forums, read technical papers and watch presentations. By joining a technical society you’ll also be able to participate in professional technical development opportunities. You don’t need to be an Engineers Australia member to join a technical society.
How to join a technical society
To join a technical society as an individual, login or create an account in the EA portal.
Technical society membership fees are listed in the Technical Society 2022-2023 membership fees (PDF 129KB) document.
Our technical societies
Engineers Australia technical societies are either hosted on our website or have their own websites. Links to all technical societies are below.
- Asset Management Council
- Australasian Association for Engineering Education
- Australian Particle Technology Society (APTS)
- Australian Tunnelling Society
- Australian Composite Structures Society
- Australian Cost Engineering Society
- Australian Earthquake Engineering Society
- Australian Geomechanics Society
- Australian Shotcrete Society
- Australian Society for Bulk Solids Handling
- Australian Society for Defence Engineering
- Australian Society for Concrete Pavements
- Electromagnetic Compatibility Society of Australia
- Electric Energy Society of Australia
- Industrial Engineers Australia
- Institute of Public Works Engineering Australasia
- Materials Australia
- Mine Subsidence Technological Society
- Mining Electrical and Mining Mechanical Engineering Society
- Railway Technical Society of Australasia
- RedR Australia
- Risk Engineering Society
- Royal Aeronautical Society
- Royal Institution of Naval Architects
- Society for Building Services Engineers
- Society for Engineering in Agriculture
- Sustainable Engineering Society
- Society of Fire Safety
- Systems Engineering Society of Australia
- Transport Australia Society
To join the Australian Fluid and Thermal Engineering Society (AFTES), login or create an account in the EA portal. Once you’re logged in, click on the products and services tab then click Join on the Technical Society Membership tile and follow the prompts. Visit EA Exchange to engage with other AFTES members and read society material.
Join EA Exchange to network with other technical society members or read material specific to your area of expertise.