During December 2021 Engineers Australia delivered a five-day Engineering Summer School for 51 Year 12 students.
It is now continuing the successful online facilitation of engineering activities for Years 7-10. Coming up is the ‘Experience it!’ workshop in February 2022 and ‘Discover Engineering’ day on Monday 14 March.
To enhance these learning from home programs, Engineers Australia is looking to build a directory of engineering companies across Sydney and Canberra that have the capacity to offer school students a variety of virtual experiences, and in-person experiences in the future.
For more than 10 years the Newcastle division has produced an annual engineering directory listing companies that helps Engineers Australia to create STEM experiences for students.
Expanding this list across Sydney and Canberra will give students across New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory opportunities to become involved in the engagement programs.
How can your company or organisation help?
We are looking for companies that have the capacity to offer experiences to students, such as:
- work experience for Year 10s, for one day or one week (in-person if possible)
- engineers joining classrooms virtually to speak with students about their work, or to assist teachers with activities, in-person where possible
- careers fairs* – speaking to students via Video Conference
- school or group site inspections, as pre-recorded tours or in-person where possible
- engineers speaking virtually with university engineering students about real life engineering applications and innovations
- three or six month university placements for second and fourth year engineering students, virtually and in-person where possible
*Engineers Australia is investigating a new delivery method to allow students explore the variety of the engineering profession while speaking with current students, graduates and engineers working in these areas.
If your company is interested in joining the directory, please fill out our form with information about your organisation.
We will then be in contact with you to speak further about opportunities for creating these experiences throughout the year. Students and teachers will be able to make contact directly for work experience and class presentations.
Caryn Morgan, Partnerships Manager NSW